Marvel Team-Up #1 featuring 3-D Man and NYX!

Go down

Marvel Team-Up #1 featuring 3-D Man and NYX!

Post  Nik Havert on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 pm

"When did the circus come to the homeless shelter?" Tatiana Caban asked.

She and her friends, Bobby, Kiden, and Lil Bro were a block away from the Bowery Mission Transitional Center when they saw the commotion. TV news vans, gawkers, and longer-than-usual lines had beaten them to the center. Everyone was focused on someone near the front door of the center.

Bobby groaned. "Man, I'm hungry. There's gonna be nothin' left by the time we get up there."

"We could get in there," Kiden said.

They were all mutants. All of them had abilities that could make them rich beyond belief, but all of them had been given a different path. The streets were their home. They were rejected by their families, their schools, and the world at large. While heroes in tight costumes fought giant robots and alien invasions, they were fighting for a bowl of soup and a mattress.

"Seriously," Kiden said, now excited. She bounced on the balls of her feet to try and see over the heads of the spectators. "I can slow down time enough to get in there ahead of everybody and tell them you're right behind me. I can save us a table. Bobby, you can take over the lady who runs the place and let us in. Who's gonna say no to her?"

Bobby, who could project his consciousness into anyone and control them, shook his head. "It's not worth the amnesia after I get back into my body." He looked at his brother, Lil Bro, who could sense things beyond the five senses. "What kinda vibe you gettin' from up there, Lil Bro?"

The autistic boy shrugged his shoulders and then went back to counting the number of news vans outside the center.

"Tatiana, you could turn into a bird, fly up there, and find a way to get us in," Kiden said.

The long-haired Latina wrinkled her nose. She could turn into any animal if she came into contact with its blood. "You want me to kill a bird for that? We could just eat it instead."

"It's not worth the attention," Bobby said. "With all of those cameras there, we'd be spotted and someone would come along to make our lives worse." He shoved his fists into the pockets of his coat.

"It's an Avenger!" Kiden yelled as she pointed toward the crowd. She was already running. The others groaned, sighed, and cursed, but they followed her. Standing at the front door of the center was a man in better condition than anyone in the crowd. He looked like a gymnast, apart from his outfit. He wore a costume of red and green. One red glove, one green glove. Half his shirt red, the other green. His pants were divided in color the same way. His goggles had one green lens and one red lens. The only thing not red or green on him was a yellow triangle on his chest and a matching belt around his waist.

"What did I tell you?" Tatiana said. "The circus is here."

"That's 3-D Man," Kiden said. "A real Avenger! What's he doing here?"

3-D Man raised his hands. The crowd quieted.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thanks for coming. I'm here to help promote the city's 'Three-a-Day' initiative to fight hunger in our city. As you know, New York has a high homeless population and many of the people who depend on centers like this one have a hard time finding one meal a day, let alone three. I've been asked by the city to be a face for this effort to raise not only money for this program, but also donations for our local food banks. The need is greater than ever..."

"Same talk as everybody else," Bobby said. "Let's go."

They rounded the nearest corner and decided to try their luck at the Nazareth Housing Center a few blocks away. No one saw the armored truck until Tatiana stepped onto Avenue C.

Delroy Griffith was just wrapping up his speech at the Bowery Mission Transitional Center when he heard it.

"Oh my God!"

Being 3-D Man gave him abilities three times that of peak human performance. That included hearing. He knew the sounds of a car trying hard to stop. He knew what panic sounded like, and he knew it was coming from somewhere up 4th Street. He leaped over the crowd with ease, did a handspring, and then became a red and green blur as he took off down 4th Street, leaving a pack of open-mouthed reporters behind.

"Are you crazy?" Tatiana yelled. The truck had stopped just a few feet from hitting her.

The driver and passenger of the armored truck burst from their respective doors and clamored to the front of the vehicle.

"You almost hit her!" Bobby yelled. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing," the driver said. He and his partner pulled their guns from their hip holsters. Bobby, who sometimes went by the street name of Felon, was the first to notice they were not standard issue handguns for armored truck security officers. They shot him with the tranquilizer dart first. Lil Bro screamed as his big brother clutched at the dart in his chest. Kiden, shocked by the chaos of the moment, never thought to slow time until the dart struck her leg. She focused her mind, hoping the slowing of time would delay the dart's effect. Tatiana grabbed Lil Bro and tried to run, but the darts in their shoulder blades put a stop to that.

3-D Man rounded the corner in time to see two men dressed in classic mercenary black jump out of the back of the armored truck. They scooped up a black teen, a kid who appeared to be his younger brother, and a Latina from the sidewalk. His triple-enhanced vision saw the darts in their bodies. The driver and his partner were fighting a white girl dressed like a raver who seemed to be moving as fast as he could move with his triple-speed, but she was slowing down. She didn't know how to fight. She scratched and kicked at them as she seemed to tire. One of the men disguised as armored truck guards finally cracked her across the face with the butt of his tranquilizer gun.

3-D Man was across the intersection in before her body hit the street. The two disguised guards were surprised by the appearance of the brightly colored former Avenger, and even more surprised when he punched the driver so hard that he left the pavement. The other guard turned his gun toward 3-D Man, who spun and tore the gun from his hand while the driver's feet were still in mid-air. 3-D Man slugged the other guard with an uppercut to his floating ribs. His triple-hearing heard two of them snap. The driver hit the street. 3-D Man pistol-whipped his partner.

He turned to see the mercenaries shutting the back doors of the truck. They had loaded the other three kids into the back. He ran after them as one crouched at the back of the truck and touched his index finger to the street.

"Daya, kreega, oxy, fu'uula," the mercenary said.

A wall of fire burst up from the street between 3-D Man and the truck. 3-D Man stopped his sprint in time. The heat seized at him, but he backed up in time before it sucked the air from his lungs. The wall reached thirty feet high before falling like a curtain that had been cut at the top, pooling down to the street and leaving nothing but embers and heat vapors rolling in all directions. The armored truck was gone.

3-D Man ran to the unconscious girl. She was fighting to stay awake.

"Who are you?" 3-D Man asked. "And why are magic mercenaries after you?"

TO BE CONTINUED!

Nik Havert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Team-Up #1 featuring 3-D Man and NYX!

Post  Paul E. Schultz on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am

Thank you for not calling him the Triathlete! I almost made him a Defender. Is he going to be the book's "star?" That would be cool if he was since he never gets any face time anywhere else. Tight, immaculate writing, as usual!
Paul E. Schultz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MTU stars

Post  Nik Havert on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 pm

The stars will rotate as the stories come to me. Part of the fun, for me, is writing situations where various characters from the A, B, C, and even D-lists can meet and team up to fight a villain and right a wrong.

Nik Havert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul E. Schultz on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 pm

I was always a fan of the D-listers. It was like, well, they didn't know they were D-listers.
Paul E. Schultz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig DeBoard on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:26 am

Good to see 3-D Man getting some face time. I always liked him and after Kurt Busiek left Avengers he never really got any dues his way at all. Great story thus far. Curious though who these "magic mercenaries" are though.
Craig DeBoard
Admin

View user profile http://www.craigdeboard.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum